Skip to Content
- Have fun. Don’t try to ski yourself into shape. You will enjoy skiing more if you’re physically fit. But even if you’re not the most fit person around, don’t miss out on the experience, stay within your limits and you will have fun.
- Obtain proper equipment. Be sure to have your ski bindings adjusted correctly at a local ski shop. You can rent good ski equipment at resorts.
- Take a lesson. You will improve the most when you receive some guidance. The best way to become a better skier is to take a lesson from a qualified instructor. You will safely learn more in an hour and a half group lesson than you will in two weeks on your own. Also, the pros will be able to show you around the mountain and which terrain is best for you.
- You should drink a lot of water. Be careful not to become dehydrated.
- Curb alcohol consumption. The sports do not mix well with alcohol or drugs especially with the ski. If you consume alcohol or drugs, you can have some accident very hard.
- Dress in layers. Layering allows you to accommodate your body’s constantly changing temperature. You could dress with polypropylene underwear (top and bottom), which feels good next to the skin, dries quickly, absorbs sweat and keeps you warm. Wear a turtleneck, sweater and jacket. Do not wear cotton as a base layer or you will likely end up cold and wet.
- Be prepared. Mother Nature has a mind of her own. Bring a headband or hat with you to the slopes, 60 percent of heat loss is through the head. Wear gloves or mittens.
- Be sure they wear sun protection, even on cloudy days. The sun reflects off the snow and is stronger than you think! Have sunglasses and goggles with them. Skiing is a lot more fun when you can see. You should always wear sun & eye protection.
- When you are going to buy skiwear, look for fabric that is water and wind resistant. Look for wind flaps to shield zippers, snug closures at wrists and ankles, collars that can be snuggled up to the chin and drawstrings that can be adjusted for comfort and keep the wind out. Be sure to buy quality clothing products.